An Arizona man was posing for photographs with a rattlesnake he caught in his yard when it attacked and bit him twice.

(NYDN) Victor Pratt, 48, who said he grew up playing with rattlesnakes, thought he had a handle on the snake when it appeared in his Coolidge yard during a barbeque earlier this month, AZCentral.com reported.

Despite the fact that he had already been bitten once when he was 19, Pratt told the Washington Post, “I was showing off. Like I always do.”

Pratt, who thought he’d show the party how to catch and cook it, was posing for photos when he lost his grip on the snake’s head.

The rattlesnake bit him once in the chest and once in the face, and Pratt’s sons drove him to the hospital, where he was given a total of 28 vials of antivenom.

Doctors inserted a tube in his airways and Pratt, who was sedated, told AZCentral.com, “I lost five days of memory. I didn’t know where I was for five days.”

A week later, his face was still severely swollen, as he declared, “Ain’t gonna play with snakes no more.”

Rattlesnake venom, which can be deadly, cause an array of symptoms including swelling, trouble breathing, convulsions, nausea and paralysis.

If you liked this article, please follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest breaking news.