A young mother was badly burned when her husband poured gasoline on a campfire that had gone out. Then he left her after she was released from the hospital.
Now her community is rallying around her and is giving her an amazing gift.
The fire that changed Courtney Waldon’s life forever happened on Sept. 30, 2016.
Waldon, who is from Tallapoosa, Georgia, spent 51 days in an intensive care burn unit with burns over 40 percent of her body.
She says that two weeks after she was released from the hospital, her husband abandoned her and her 4-year-old daughter, saying he “just couldn’t handle it.”
Waldon has undergone multiple surgeries, and her doctors estimate she will need at least a dozen more. Her most recent surgery, to try to restore some use of her hands, was on Thursday.
Waldon was left with no income and she may never be able to work again. Her medical bills are more than $2 million, so she had no choice but to give up her home. Her parents said they thought she would never be able to have a home of her own again.
Jon Ellis, pastor of The Refuge Ministries of West Georgia, learned of Waldon’s situation, and with the help of others, began an effort to build Waldon a home as a gift to her.
The 2-bedroom home is being built on her family’s land by volunteers and with donated funds. Construction on the exterior of the home is complete and some interior framing is done.
Four months ago, Waldon posted on the GoFundMe page, “I would like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for your prayers and your donations! I am truly humbled by everyone’s generosity!”
In addition to having surgery on her hands, Waldon is undergoing laser surgery once a month that costs $11,000 each time.
Her friend posted on the GoFundMe page: “She still has an incredible amount of itching and a long road ahead. She is the strongest person I have ever known! Her spirits are great considering all she has gone through. Please continue to pray.”
Waldon has a tattoo on her forearm that says, “I survived because the fire inside of me burned brighter than the fire around me.”
If you liked this article, please follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest gadget and technology news.